11 Questions to Ask in Order to Buy the Correct Wide Format Scanner
At ImageSource, we have many customers who call in asking for information on Wide Format Scanners. Selecting the right Wide Format Scanner for your needs is imperative, as manufacturers do not normally provide evaluation scanners for you to test.
I always recommend that customers review a software webinar demo before buying these larger scanners. The software functionality and ease of use is an important differentiator between scanner manufacturers. The incorrect software combined with a scanner that does not meet all your needs can be a costly investment that cannot be returned to the manufacturer. In this category of scanner, the cheapest price tag does not necessarily mean the best fit!
There are some basic questions that we always ask our customers in order to qualify what scanner(s) is the most appropriate. I would like to share these to help you with any future selection processes/decisions.
- Do you need B&W, Grayscale, Color capabilities?
- If Color is required, is it Color critical (such as photos and art work), or simple color (such asline drawings or printed maps)?
- What is the largest size original you will be scanning?
- Is speed important? Will this be production scanning or just occasional scanning?
- Approximately how many scans per month?
- What condition are your originals in? Poor (folded with a lot of background), Medium or Good quality?
- What kinds of media will you be scanning? Paper, blueprints, Mylar, stitched linen (very old documents), maps, etc.
- Do you need thick document scanning capabilities?
- Do you need a stand and catch basket?
- Will this be a scan-to-file application or do you need scan-to-print (copy) functions as well?
- Will you need to edit, modify or convert any of the images into CAD or GIS file formats?
We have been working with the major Wide Format Scanner manufacturers for many years so we are here to help give our expertise for any questions you may have. ImageSource will make it easy for you and guide you towards the “best fit”.
We are here to help!
Inside Sales Account Executive